8th Grade - Summit
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year!
We are so excited to start another great year here at Century Middle School. We know this year is starting off unlike any other, however, we are optimistic that this year will be great! Below is some basic information about remote learning and our core expectations.
All core classes will be using SCHOOLOGY as their primary platform of information.
- Students will find all things necessary for classes on adams12.schoology.com
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Fridays will be synchronous learning
- Students will follow their school schedule and attend each class throughout the day
Wednesdays will be asynchronous learning
- Students will have access to teachers to ask questions and do small groups but will not being necessarily doing each class.
- In addition, we will continue to use Infinite Campus as our online gradebook.
Help sessions for the Summit Core will be held at various times on Wednesdays. However, students and parents/guardians can ALWAYS email if there are any questions or concerns.
Pearson (SS): 8:30am-9:30am Justis (LA): 1pm-2pm Cox (Math): 11am-12pm Goldie (Science): 12pm-1pm
Communication between parent/guardians and teachers is a vital component in your student’s education. As a core we will be using Infinite Campus’ messenger to send updates weekly.
If you have any difficulties with the parent portal, please call the registrar 720-972-5240.
The best way to reach us is by email. Teachers are not available to take telephone calls during the day, but feel free to leave a voice mail messages. You can expect a response to voicemail or email within 24 hours unless we are out of class. Please schedule an appointment if you would like to meet with a teacher or core team. Making arrangements ahead of time will ensure that we are able to devote our time and full attention to you.
It is important to check IC every week to monitor your grades. Scores will be posted at a minimal on the dates below:
October 8th December 1st February 1st April 15th May 1st
Contrary to popular 8th grade student belief, all assignments including formative are important to their grades. Failure to complete practice and receive feedback will limit your ability to check your understanding and receive appropriate feedback before the end of a unit.
- Formative: used to provide timely feedback to students in order to check understanding and prepare for assessments
Summative: “assessments” are used to evaluate student learning against the standards and rubrics.
Late work will be entered in IC when we get to it. Our priority is grading current assignments.
The core calendar will be updated daily/weekly by each teacher, please check it regularly for assignments. The core webpage contains links to personal teacher sites, the 8th grade project, and upcoming field trip and activities information.
- Attendance will be taken and recorded daily.
- Students will be considered in attendance when they are online and attending a synchronous period of instruction, according to their schedule.
- Parents will continue to call their school’s attendance line to excuse absences as appropriate when the student will not be attending synchronous learning and/or attending a Learning Pod.
- It is the student’s responsibility to check the Summit Core calendar for missed work
- Number of days absent = number of days +1 day to make up
- Absent on a test day? You are expected to make up the test upon return to school.
If you were here the day an assignment was given, and you miss the day it was due, you must turn it in upon return.